Thursday, July 30, 2009

Some Days are Just GREAT

I just got off the phone from someone that wrote a message into my http://www.texas-drug-rehabs.org website about her brother that has been on meth for many years and has attended state-funded programs and continues to battle with life and addiction to the point that he is feeling as though there isn't much reason to live.

I just got off the phone with the addict's sister and I realized that I was talking to someone that really understood that I was relaying this information to her to help her brother and that what I was telling her was coming from years of experience, both losses and wins, but that I have gotten to a place where my knowledge is of high value to anyone that is needing help in my field of expertise, and without anyone saying that, I realized that it was obviously understood.

Today, in our society, there is a lack of trust in taking any ideas from others. People feel that everyone is giving advice or suggesting an opinion because of some personal reward and not because they have answers that can help. All of us have had too many occasions where we have joined the excitement of something new, that sounds almost too good to be true, to find out that it wasn't real and it was too good to be true. No one likes to be taken advantage of and it hurts at a level that can close us off to taking that risk again.

That wasn't the case with this sister and I felt that I was able to convey the truth to her and she understood that what I was saying for the her own good and, of course, her brother's, and not because I had some other agenda.

Where this element of distrust has come from is open to speculation, but it is pervasive in our society and it does keep us from being as successful as we could be... I can speak for my profession, but I am confident that it is the same with most professional fields and it does hinder progress.

What I can definitely say, is that one success in helping a family makes up for all of the losses that I have had in the past. I really don't have any alternative but to keep on delivering the truth and fight against anything that doesn't save addicts from their turmoil of living in addiction. I am thankful that I do know what works and what doesn't even if I do feel at times like I know what all mavericks in history must have felt when trying to convince others that there is another way to travel than what is being endorsed by the majority.

There really is hope and there really is real help and the losses that everyone has had in wanting to help someone to only find out that it has led to no change cannot harden us to the point that we don't stay open to anything new and different. Twenty-first century man hasn't discovered all of the answers and if you think we have, then why are things as problematic as we find in our society?

I really doubt that anyone will read this blog, but if you have, thanks for your time while I blew off some of my earlier failures and shared my win in helping someone today that will take my message and give her brother an opportunity to live a happy, ethical and successful life free of alcohol and other drugs.


No comments: